Ice Miller LLP announced that Daniel G. Coman will join the firm as a partner, along with Lynn Cagney, Maureen Maffei, Jeffrey Platt and George Weems joining as of counsel, on Jan. 1, 2017. The addition of these five attorneys brings the firm's Illinois presence to approximately 45 attorneys. The attorneys will join Ice Miller from The Coman Law Group, which was formerly known as Coman & Anderson.
"Having worked together in a close-knit firm, these attorneys join us with a commitment to client service that's consistent with Ice Miller's core values," said John Burke, a managing partner of Ice Miller. "Their extensive backgrounds and experience brings value to clients who rely on our business, tax, real estate and employment and immigration groups. And for current clients of The Coman Law Group, we believe they will find the same highly effective legal representation they have enjoyed at Coman -- but now with a broader array of services."
"The addition of Dan, Lynn, Maureen, Jeffrey and George allows us to provide our clients with deeper levels of service, knowledge and experience," said Dave Hight, office managing partner in Ice Miller's Lisle office. "As we continue to expand the scope of services in our DuPage County and Chicago offices, we are thrilled to welcome five attorneys with strong local ties, yet who also work with clients far beyond Illinois."
"We look forward to continuing to represent our current middle-market clients, as well as helping new clients build, grow and protect their interests," added Dan Coman.
• Daniel G. Coman is a partner in Ice Miller's business group, where his diverse practice has a strong emphasis in general corporate law and federal taxation as it impacts businesses, their owners, and key executives. Coman's federal taxation focus includes corporate and individual taxation, employee benefits and ERISA, estate and gift tax planning and administration, international taxation and tax exempt organizations. He is also experienced in negotiating, structuring, documenting and implementing a wide variety of commercial transactions for his clients, including extensive experience in handling mergers and acquisition transactions ranging from as low as a few million dollars to numerous transactions in excess of $100 million.
• Lynn Cagney is of counsel in Ice Miller's Tax group, where she assists clients with corporate and individual income taxation, estate and gift tax planning, income taxation of new financial products, and international taxation. Cagney is a former chairwoman of the Chicago Bar Association's Division C (Corporate Taxation) and a former member of the Executive Committee of the Federal Taxation Section of the Chicago Bar Association.
• Maureen Maffei is of counsel in Ice Miller's Labor, employment and immigration group, with a focus on counseling employers regarding employee handbooks, employee contracts, separation agreements, FLMA, FLSA, and general personnel issues, including employee investigations and best practices audits. Maffei has represented private employers in matters pending before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Labor, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Human Rights Commission and the Illinois Department of Employment Security. She has experience in both federal and state court, as well as various federal and state administrative agencies.
• Jeffrey Platt is of counsel in Ice Miller's business group and concentrates his practice in commercial litigation, banking, employment litigation, and international law. Platt also has experience handling the defense of legal malpractice claims involving underlying cases dealing with business torts, civil rights, contracts, copyright, corporate law, real estate, RICO, securities and trademark matters. He served as an Administrative Law Judge for the Illinois Department of Public Health from 1994 -- 1996. He has been on the board of directors of Metropolitan Family Services of DuPage County since 2010.
• George Weems is of counsel in Ice Miller's real estate group. He concentrates his practice in commercial real estate, real estate related litigation and general corporate matters. Weems has significant experience handling commercial real estate transactions, leasing and real estate development. Many of his clients have benefited from his ability to add value through obtaining development and relocation-based incentives, municipal entitlements, state-based incentives and real estate tax incentives.
Founded in 1910, Ice Miller is an Am Law 200 Firm with a nationally recognized reputation in many of its practice areas. Ice Miller offers a broad array of capabilities in virtually all areas of legal practice including: corporate, patents and trademarks, bankruptcy, lobbying, labor and employment, litigation, employee benefits, environment, tax, trusts and estates, real estate, municipal finance, public affairs and government law. With offices in Chicago; Cleveland; Columbus; DuPage County, Ill.; Indianapolis; New York; and Washington, D.C., the firm has more than 300 lawyers and 40 paraprofessionals.